Happy Monday! Its back to the grind this week. Trying to keep up with my new class, my work and keeping myself busy while I patiently wait for my bf to come up for a visit to the States! But I got to spend some time with a great friend of mine while we celebrated our friend’s wedding! Nothing about a little love all weekend long to put you in a great mood. But there’s always a flip side to all the lovey dovey, especially when you’re in a long distance relationship. Even the most happy moments can bring you down when you don’t have your special someone to share it with you in the moment. But here are some of my tips to keeping those long distance blues away:
- Have a good support system (of people who really support you). Because there are those who are encouraging but also tend to fill your head with doubt. Have good people around you to help motivate you through the toughest times.
- Keep busy. If you’re focusing a ton on how much your apart it can really bring your day down. Staying busy (but not so busy that you’re never able to talk to your partner) can help keep your emotions of the hard parts.
- Have a plan. Whether it be a plan of when you’ll be together, or even if it means a plan to say Good Night every night.
- Be optimistic. It can be really tough when you’re around other couples. Holding hands, on dates, kissing each other. While you get to watch from afar, knowing your partner is far away. But a little optimism is always great. Plus it allows you to appreciate the time you have.
- As always, no matter what kind of relationship: long distance or if you live in the same house, communication is essential. Particularly when its long distance. Because you’re not in the same space, you can’t tell how someone is feeling unless you speak up. Plus good communication can avoid hurt feelings, a sense of uneasiness and can ultimately bring you closer. A long distance relationship isn’t based on physical attributes, its based on your communication and relationship between each other as individuals. Having good communication can make that relationship stronger for when you are together.
- Know its not always going to be easy. Not going to lie long distance really fucking blows. It is not fun. If you can make it through the toughest parts, your relationship really can be even more amazing when you finally have the opportunity to be in the same place at the same time.
- If you BOTH really want it, you can make it work. It will be challenging, it will be sad and upsetting. But then it will be happy and an adventure. And your time together will be much more important and valued.