A pile of dirty laundry, an unmade bed and dingy lighting does not appeal to anyone’s romantic side (ok I’m sure there are a few people out there who think dirty laundry is sexy….maybe). A room lit by candlelight and filled with gauzy sheer curtains surrounding your bed piled high with satin sheets and a white fur rug may be what we think of as a pretty romantic room. But if you’re like me, you haven’t had a canopy bed since middle school…wait scratch that, I had one in my last apartment…complete with gauzy colbalt blue curtains. But even if you don’t have one (I don’t have one now) or you can’t be stringing up sheers from the ceiling or maybe you have the most un-romantic bedding ever it doesn’t mean that your space can’t still be ready for romance!
So how can you prep your room for a little romance without going over the top complete with some serious Marvin Gaye, 100 candles that pose a potential fire hazard and rose petals scattered across the bed? Its really not too hard but here are some of my guidelines to help spice up the romance in your room!
1. Take out the TV/Computer. This may not be applicable to everyone (its not for me, as I live in a studio) But having the TV in the bedroom can certainly serve as a distraction and can completely kill the mood. If you do have it in the bedroom, turn that sucker off!
2. Have a few candles. I’m not talking like a gazillion. A few can create a nice warm light which is relaxing and comforting.
3. Clean sheets. Always a plus. If you don’t have time to wash them try a scented linen spray.
4. Laundry out of site. There’s really nothing attractive about a pile of dirty laundry.
5. Make your bed and clean the floors. I’m one of those people who has to make the bed (even if it means just tossing the covers over my pillows…which I’ve resulted to because my dog thinks the pillows are hers to lay on!) every morning. It makes getting under the covers much easier 😉 😉 Cleaning up the floors is key too. Most likely you’re not going to be getting between the sheets with your partner with your socks on (maybe your are, maybe thats your thing…) but getting into bed with some dirty feet = not so sexy.
6. Remember to have fun! Ultimately your bedroom is a place for you to relax, have fun with your partner and sleep. If you’re putting too much pressure on your space to be romantic, its likely to stress you out and result in zero fun.